Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Spiritual Side of Sleeping in the Car

Sounds like an enormous sacrifice doesn't it? Sounds noble, sounds self sacrificing. Kinda sorta is. Except for two things. First of all, my office space is pretty deluxe. I keep getting gifted with weekends away and housesitting jobs, and...
the front seat of my car is way better for my back than a big ol' bed.

When you have an L4-5 injury you spend the night tossing and turning to keep the pain at bay. Sleeping is an endurance experience. It takes ten hours in bed to get eight hours sleep. Stretching out means curling up in fetal position with a pillow between your knees and everytime you turn, that pillow has to be readjusted.

In the car? The seat envelopes me at just the right angles. I am not stretched out straight. I find myself sleeping four or five hours at a stretch in a deep deep sleep.

Plus, the place where I sleep is wildly secure and protected. A bathroom is at hand for middle of the night runs, although I sleep so deeply I find I frequently just sleep through the night.

Who knew?

So...I agree to this plan God puts in my heart and I end up with a better quality of life than I ever could have imagined.

This shared workspace building is a dream. Simply a dream. I know and like half the people here already from very pleasant associations. I'm eating better than ever and losing weight, much desired, at a very rapid pace because I cook and eat better at a more regular rate. My office has stairs that are involved and so I am getting more exercise than I ever would have imagined.

All of this goes together to generate some of the best work I've ever produced. I'm more relaxed, less stressed, more creative, feeling more safe than I ever thought possible. I can't wait to get to work each day from my morning shift.

Ah...the morning shift. I finish and then I have an incredibly beautiful place, again, completely safe, where I can go for a long morning nap before I head for the office.

The connections the Lord created are stronger and I'm getting more positive feedback than ever before.
So...here's the lesson. What is God calling you to give up to get a better quality of life? What is God calling you to do that you don't think is possible because you haven't surrendered what you don't think you could give up?

God has set a new standard of living for me. It is not one I thought possible. I have no doubt that in a year or two or three I will be able to purchase a home and have a bedroom with proper closets.

When that happens, I will have a whole new habit of living, a whole new standard of living.
And my trust and surrender of the Lord God on High? Off the charts...just off the charts. I never ever thought I would be so provided for.

Yes, I look back and try to see where I could have had better if I'd surrendered more but you know what happens? It's as if God jammed the channel. Looking back rarely brings good results in moving forward.

So for today, I rest in each moment. I cherish the provision of each hour. I do my best to make the most of it. I rejoice. I say thanks. I relax and go to the next moment with an open heart.

That isn't what you thought I was going to write/say is it?:)

No comments: